- Book a Course
Writing for success means, essentially, getting your points across to your readers as quickly and efficiently as you can. We’ve all experienced what it’s like to get lost in a document - whether short email or substantial report; you become increasingly confused, more and more irritated and finally end up by giving up altogether. As readers we simply don’t have time in the modern world of work to give anything more than the minimum time necessary to understanding what is in the document in front of us; as writers, therefore, we need to put readability at the heart of every decision we make in writing for others.
At Canning we believe that in a world of hard-pressed and time-conscious business people, only writing which is tailored to your readers and which delivers the maximum clarity will win you success. On all our writing courses, whatever the complexity of your subject, we help you to produce writing which will astonish your readers by how reader-friendly it is. In addition, we will make you better editors of your work in the future so that you will save time in drafting and redrafting. Overall, we ensure that you succeed because of your writing and not in spite of it.
The content of these tailored courses is agreed with the client and fine-tuned with the participants. However, on a typical workshop you could expect to:
- Write introductions which not only prepare the reader to understand the purpose, context and scope of the document but also grab their attention and motivate them to read on
- Select, especially in longer reports, what is most relevant and avoid weighing the document down with unnecessary detail
- Make sure that you have designed a logically coherent framework of ideas
- Create section headings which will advertise accurately what is in each section and stimulate the readers’ interest
- Use objective tools to measure exactly how readable your writing is
- Choose words, write sentences and create paragraphs which maximise the readability of the document
- Develop a style which, particularly in email, will allow you to make your points while still preserving relationships
- Practise making your document inviting to read from the point view of layout and appearance
Our methods are intensive, active and experiential. We strongly believe in learning by doing, so you will develop your writing skills through active practical exercises, discussion and feedback. We normally work with sample documents you send us before the course starts and create the exercises from them. You will normally be in a group of eight and courses normally last between one and three days, depending on the length and complexity of what you have to write.
If this course interests you, contact us and we can start looking at the next step.
Where have we trained so far in 2013?Argentina, Bahrain, Belgium, Britain, Colombia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Latvia, Malawi, Morocco, Netherlands, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, UAE, United States.
A few of the companies we have trained so far in 2013Airbus, Munich Reinsurance, Schneider Electric, Copenhagen University, Renault, Nissan, Allianz, Daimler, Fiat, DOW, Roche, Unicredit, GlaxoSmithKline, Stockholm School of Economics, Bayer, Kirin, Oracle, CapGemini, Bank of Japan, Coca-Cola, Novartis, Pfizer, Adobe, EMC. We have a full list of companies we have trained.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Search our site